DOES YOUR RESUME ACTUALLY MATTER?
You have heard people say, “First impression is the last impression”. To create a good impression, you can pick out your best outfit and pair of shoes, dress properly, groom yourself, sit straight, talk politely and the list goes on. But how do you create a good first impression in front of the employer even before meeting them?
Let’s start from the beginning, what is the first mode of contact between the recruiter and you? It is your RESUME! Your resume reaches the employer before you do! The employer decides to call you for the next round based on your resume and that is the reason your resume should reflect who you are! Displaying your skills and qualities in a presentable manner makes the difference.
Here are a few tips for resume writing (or CV writing):
- Add your goals to the resume – A recruiter is always interested in understanding the future goals for the candidate to understand if the candidate would be the right choice for the company. The tone should always reflect confidence and positivity.
- Make sure your resume is concise and accurate - Too much information on a piece of paper can make the reader lose interest. It is always a nice idea to write crisp points. It consumes less space and leaves room for more achievements to be added.
- Alter the resume as per the job requirement – Every company looks for an employee who is best suited for the job based on his skills and experience. It is not necessary to write all your skills on your resume. Read the job description carefully and see what the employer is looking for. Alter your resume accordingly.
- Do not lie on your resume – People lie about previous job titles, academic degrees, embellish responsibilities and skills. Lies, either big or small, if caught can lead to losing your job and embarrassment. You should always have valid documents to support your resume.
- Avoid spelling and grammatical mistakes – Making silly mistakes like incorrect spellings, spacing errors and grammatical mistakes leaves a bad impression on the recruiter. Before sending your resume always recheck for any such errors.
- Format your resume – The characteristic of a good resume is a combination of relevant information presented in an easy-to-read manner. A good format makes it easy for the recruiter to scan your document quickly and helps to catch their attention on the key facts.